Pages

Friday, February 3, 2012

Goings and Doings

Well, nothing too exciting has happened this week. Just going to school, handwashing my clothes in the afternoons, running at the International School, karate, and yoga. I have begun joining the volleyball group at the International School on Tuesdays and Thursdays in the evening. I can't begin to express how wonderful it is to get out and meet people and make connections!! It's nice also to be around people who speak fluent English. There's something about being around people who know exactly what you're saying that feels so wonderful. Not that I don't enjoy anyone else's company (everyone has been so welcoming and wonderful), but sometimes it's hard when they are all speaking in Swahili and you're just kind of sitting there listening. The other good thing about the volleyball is that it's not overly competitive which means that there's a nice fun vibe which is nice after a stressful day of teaching.

Speaking of teaching, I have begun to teach my first music classes this week. YAY!! The head teacher (kind of like the principal) is having me teach music when teachers are absent and that way the students are not just sitting around doing nothing. The students LOVE it!!!! In fact, class 6 constantly begs me to teach music. It's been such a joy for me because the students really get into it. They especially love the rhythm games (which I think is a result of the fact that the main instruments played here are drums). Now that I've taught some basic skills (note names, note values, scales, the staff, rests, and a few rhythm techniques) I'm going to start the students on the recorders that I brought. I'm SUPER excited!! I hope that it goes well. The students in some classes are going to have to share because there are almost 30 students in those classes, but only 15 recorders, but I think we'll be able to make it all work out OK. YAY!!!

Well, as I begin my fourth week here in Morogoro, I'm amazed at how fast time is flying. In a week from tomorrow, I will have been in Tanzania for one month!!! In some ways I've found this journey to be easier than I expected it would be, but in some ways it has been harder than I anticipated.

I'm amazed at how much I've gotten used to in such a small amount of time. For instance, today at the market, I experienced air conditioning for the first time in like two weeks. It was AMAZING!! But, I've realized that I am completely capable of living without it because my body has adjusted to being warm all the time indoors and outdoors. My hands have also gotten used to hand washing. Which is WONDERFUL!! The first few times I hand washed my clothes, my poor fingers got rubbed raw and I had to cover them with bandaids and Neosporin. I've also gotten used to taking cold showers. I'm sure you're wondering how anyone could get used to that, but you just have to throw yourself in and even though at first I could only stand it for a few minutes, I don't mind anymore. I've also gotten used to having to walk everywhere. It's about a 15 minute walk to the International School from the house and a 15 minute walk back. If I could drive, it would only take, like 2 minutes. But, I don't mind having to walk at all. It's about a 10 minute walk to the bus stop and then it takes another 15-20 minutes to get to town because the bus stops so much. And then, once you get there, you have to walk to the stores you want to visit. Thus, you have to plan to be at the market for 1 1/2 - 2 hours at minimum which is a long time if you ask me. Thus, it's wise to go to the market only when you have compiled a list of things you want. (Although, ironically, I went to the market yesterday and forgot most of my money at the house in my bag. I was SOOO mad at myself because I had made the journey there and couldn't even buy the things I wanted!!) Also, I've gotten used to running around the soccer field at the International School because there isn't a track that I can use in Morogoro. I've always been a street runner and it was tough switching to cross-country style, but I've actually gotten pretty good at it and I can even run through the long grass that's on one end of the field without feeling like I'm going to fall down. Haha. I've also gotten used to the greetings here. No one just says "Hello", it's always "How are you?", but there are so many different ways to say it, it seems, and I always have to think twice about what they said before I respond. But, now I'm able to respond much faster and I've also been working on building my vocabulary, which of course is slow, but it's coming. I'm sure that by the end of my time here, I'll be able to speak and understand a great deal!! :D

There are still a few things I haven't gotten used to though. For instance, I never expected that the diet change would be so difficult for me. I mean, seriously, I never expected to miss food from home SOOO freaking much!! I have the worst cravings for Italian foods, Greek foods, Mexican foods, Chinese foods, Japanese foods, pretty much everything!!! My diet here consists mostly of potatoes, spaghetti noodles with various vegetables mixed in, rice and beans, and rice with chicken. It was AMAZING when we made pizza last week, but that was only one night of change. *sigh* Another thing I'm not totally adjusted to is a good sleep pattern. I try to go to bed at the same time every night, but I still wake up a few times during the night. Sometimes it's because I get tangled up in the bug net (which is very annoying) and sometimes I'm not sure why, I just do. I've been taking my Melatonin pills that are an all-natural sleep aid and it's been helping to a certain degree, but I can't wait until I wake up every morning feeling well rested. The other thing that I miss bunches are hugs. I'm such a hugger (I think that's a new word), but I'm not close enough to anyone here for that. Not that I've seen many people hugging, it's usually just handshakes. :(

For the most part, things are good. Sometimes it's hard to be away from home, sometimes teaching is VERY frustrating (but, of course it's that in the US as well) and sometimes it's lonely, but I know that God has me here for a reason. Every day gets better and I've learned to rejoice at every interaction because it means that I am building friendships here, even if it is a slow process. I think it's a slow process wherever you are, but somehow, the language and cultural barrier make it seem even slower. I just have to keep leaning on Him and trusting Him that this is where I am supposed to be and that even though it may not feel like it sometimes, I am making a difference by being here.

Well, I guess I shall end things here for now. I hope you are having a blessed day and that your weekend is wonderful!! I'm going to be climbing to the peak of the Uluguru mountains tomorrow!! YAY!! And on Sunday morning I'm going to make pancakes for the family!! Yay for American food!! I'm going to put chocolate bits in them and we're going to put powdered sugar on top top to sweeten them up a bit because there is no maple syrup. I'm SUPER excited!! I was planning on making them on Saturday, but we're going to have to get up early so we can climb the mountain and we're going to have to make lunches to bring with us and the works, so I think it would be better to make them on Sunday. Yummy!! :D

"Look to the Lord and his strength; seek His face always." Psalm 105:4

Blessings, love, and peace,
~Christine

2 comments:

  1. Hey Christine,

    Are there any poisonous snakes in that tall grass you are running through?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hugs and prayers! I am enjoying reading about what you are doing.
    God bless you:)

    ReplyDelete