Pages

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Wrestling with Stereotypes


Well, I have to say that being here marks the first time I’ve truly been a victim of stereotype. In the past, I’ve asked my friends what they would stereotype me as, but I never truly fit into one. I was always proud of that factor because it indicated that I didn’t resemble any particular group; I was always just me. :D

But now, I am keenly aware as I walk about how people perceive me to be the “rich American lady”. It bothers me that Americans are immediately assumed “rich” just for the sole fact that they are from America. It makes it seem as though you don’t even have to work hard in America to have wealth. Instead, the mere fact that you are from America means you are “rich”. This bothers me because in no way am I considered “rich” in America. In fact, if I had been living on my own prior to this trip, I would probably not have had such a great quality of life based on my income at my minimum wage jobs. The cost of living in America is so high, that it’s necessary to make a large annual salary just to have the necessities. In fact, in order to make this trip possible, I worked 2 official jobs (day care worker and waitress) and countless unofficial jobs (pet sitting, house sitting, picture scanning, babysitting, etc.) and I’m also being supported by many generous and wonderful people who have chosen to sponsor this mission trip. I have worked hard for what I have now and I have sweated and stretched myself to the limits to get here and have money left to start me off in graduate school.

But, of course, I cannot in any way compare my situation back home to the situation of the people here. Here, people live in homes with dirt floors and most do not have electricity or running water. Even the people who do have running water and electricity do not have it all the time because it is constantly going on and off (sometimes for an entire half of a day). Almost no one has a car, a laptop, a camera, or any kind of electronic device besides a cell phone. When I first arrived, I was shocked at how little was here, but now my perspective has changed. Compared to many, I am living the “high life” at the pastor’s house.

What I’ve realized is that it all comes down to understanding context. In the context of America, I am not considered “rich” by any means because the cost of living is so incredibly high. But, here, the cost of living is so low I guess I could be perceived as being “rich”. But, of course, my situation is not due to the fact that I come from America, this is the result of my hard work and countless hours dedicated to working (yes, I have worked a twelve hour day on multiple occasions).

The situation reminds me of how in America, we have the assumption that Asians are automatically smart in Math and/or Science. But, we forget that in countries like Korea, the students do not have extra curricular activities after school. In fact, the students go straight from school to tutors who work long hours with the students in order to help them understand the concepts better. In their culture, it is necessary to understand those concepts in order to be successful. Also, we sometimes forget that although many Asians are good in Math and Science, not all can be. Everyone has their own individual talents and thus not everyone ca be good at everything.

I hope that during my stay people's perceptions of me will be changed. I hope to be known for my faith and not for how much money others perceive me to have, or because anyone thinks I'm famous, or any other reason. I'd much rather be known for being true to myself and true to my God.

"Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is - His good, pleasing, and perfect will." Romans 12:2

Blessings, peace, and love,
~Christine

1 comment:

  1. Hi Christine,

    I know being perceived as the "rich American" is a shock at first, and I think the more difficult part is realizing how true it is. Sometimes it's a big hurdle to overcome in relationships, but I'm sure the people that spend time with you will realize your genuine spirit. No matter where we come from, the Holy Spirit is at work with you!

    ReplyDelete