Pages

Sunday, February 12, 2012

A Fantastic Weekend so Far!! :D


Well, this has turned out to be quite an eventful weekend so far!! And, that’s a good thing!! Bwana asifiwe!! (Praise God!!)

I guess I should start with Friday because that’s where I left off. School was good and Classes 6 and 7 took their second test for me. Class 5 has gotten better, but only because I have to be a drill sergeant in that class. Hey! Whatever works, right? As long as we’re getting work done and the whole class period is not wasted on me telling them to be quiet, I’m happy. I want them to get better at English and the only way this will happen is through LOTS of practice (and they need it). Friday is a half-day, so at noon everyone went out for sports. After the last students from class 6 finished their tests, I joined students from class 7 playing Frisbee. I was such a magical experience. I’m beginning to know the students’ names now, which is always a good thing in teaching and we’re becoming more comfortable around each other. It was a gorgeous day, the sun was shining and the sky was full of puffy white clouds. The mountains were in full view as a backdrop (I barely believed that it was real!) It was that moment, me playing Frisbee, surrounded by other kids playing football, Net Ball, chase, and whatever else that I felt fully that God had brought me here. It was a most wonderful moment of peace and joy.

Friday afternoon, I made my way to town because I had to run quite a few errands. I had to get a few groceries, red pens for grading (because apparently you aren’t allowed to grade in other colors here), a Swahili Bible, and make a quick run to the bank. I’m very excited to have a Swahili Bible and I’m hoping that by reading it along with my NRS Edition Bible (from which the Swahili Bible is directly translated), I will have another tool to help me learn Swahili.  Friday night, I practiced karate in my room and sparred with invisible opponents and used my hanging curtains to help work on my distance drills. (yes, I know that is pathetic, but you have to use what you have to work with, right??)

Saturday morning, I woke up early and made pancakes for the family once again. This time I put bananas in them and they came out quite well. I learned a few tricks from the last time I made pancakes, so these came out even better! I was SUPER excited!! I then made my way to town to meet up with Michael, another missionary in the area who drove me to the field where they are now meeting to play Ultimate Frisbee. There were about 10 of us (and two more joined us later, so 12 total) who played and it was so much fun!! It’s been YEARS since I’ve played Ultimate Frisbee, so I didn’t really remember what to do at first. But, thankfully, it’s a pretty simple game and as long as you remember to not run with the Frisbee, you’re good to go. The school where we were playing was in such a wonderful location. The mountains were so close and again the sun was shining. Which, of course, meant it was hot. But, I was OK with that (I’ve kind of gotten used to running in the heat now) Afterwards, they invited me to join them for a prayer service they will be having tonight. I am SOOO excited!! Not only are we going to be singing and praying and praising God, but we’re also going to be having pizza for dinner!!!! YAY!! Also, I found out that Michael also did Tae Kwon Do for a few years before coming to Tanzania. It was so great to talk to someone about something that means so much to me!! But, he and his wife are actually going to be returning to the states very soon. His wife is pregnant and they experienced some complications, but everything is OK now. But, they are thinking that it is better to return to the states (especially since it is their first child). So, if you could, please keep Michael and Megan in your prayers as they make their way back to the US. But, Michael did give me his Bo that he got during his stay here. He didn’t really like it so much as his Bo back home and I am ecstatic!! Now I can practice my Bo form in addition to all of my other forms!! :D

Also on Saturday, I hand washed my clothes for 2 hours (pictures just added. I figured that if all of Tanzania can see all my clothes hanging about, why not all of America too. LOL!!) and began working on my grading that I have to accomplish this weekend. In the evening, I went to the youth choir practice and will be singing with them this morning at church.




Today, I have church and then I need to finish grading papers. It’s very funny how some things don’t change no matter where in the world you are. One of my classes got mad that I wouldn’t take their exercise books home to grade over the weekend. And my response was “Well, I have to grade tests for Classes 6 AND 7, and in addition, I have to finish grading exercise books from Class 5.  What do you think I do all day? Grade?” to which they said “Yes!” Hahaha, students will be students everywhere and that means that they think their teachers live at school and don’t have any fun ever. *sigh I didn’t come all this way to grade all day (I HATE grading), I came here to experience the culture of Tanzania and to make a difference in the name of Christ. Now, yes, grading does come as a responsibility of the job because I am a teacher. But, no, dear students, I do NOT live at school and grading is NOT my life. Hahahaha!!! After I finish grading, I will be off to the prayer meeting and eating pizza and then it’s off to bed early so I can wake up at 6am!! WOOT!!

Well, I hope that you are having a wonderful weekend so far!! Bwana akubariki sana!! (God bless you abundantly!!)

“Show me, O Lord, my life’s end and the number of my days; let me know how fleeting is my life. You have made my days a mere handbreadth; the span of my years is as nothing before you. Each man’s life is but a breath.” Psalms 39:4-5

~Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment