Pages

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Successes!!!!

AHHHH!! The last few days have been WONDERFUL!!! I feel like things just keep getting better and better!!

So, yesterday after school I was so exhausted that I decided to take the afternoon off. I decided that I would not wash clothes, I would not grade papers, I would not do any kind of work. I spent most of the afternoon reading and it was like therapy for me. I've been working so hard and doing so many things that I needed the time for rest. In the late afternoon I ran over at the International School and then went to the prayer meeting that happens on Wednesdays at the church. I've decided that now that I've been here for a few weeks, it's time that I get more involved with the church and other activities that are going on here. I'm hoping to also join the choir on Saturday evening!!!

Well, today school was great!! I've finally started teaching the students the recorder and they LOVE it!! They LOVE music and always beg me to teach them music. Sometimes they can be a bit pushy and I've had to get a little bit mean, though, and let them know that I will come teach music when the head teacher tells me to (because I don't want to disrupt the school's schedule or anything). (I'll have to upload the pictures at another time because the website won't let me now)
But, really, the unfortunate thing is that the school seems to be losing teachers by the week!! I'm not sure where they all are, but yet another teacher has not been coming in addition to the other teachers who were gone last week. So, the rest of us are still having to sit in on classes and give up our free periods. I've found that in many ways I must be very possessive of my free periods. Maybe it's selfish, I'm not sure, but everyone needs a break and I need my time to grade and prepare lesson plans. If I'm finished with those things, I will usually practice my Swahili which is rapidly increasing!! I'm SOOO proud of myself!! I found some very helpful pages that Matt left that list over 200 verbs and their English translation, Religious phrases, numbers, phrases, fruits, foods, body parts, animals, clothes and more. I'm working my way down the list trying to memorize a few verbs a day and a few phrases and other words per day. So far, I know 24 verbs. I know it doesn't sound like much, but if I keep going with a few a day, I will know over 200 before long!! I can also say multiple Religious phrases such as Bwana Asifiwe!! Which means Praise the Lord!! This is probably the most important one because they say it so much at church!! I can also say Bwana akubariki sana! Which means God bless you abundantly!! YAY!!!

This afternoon, I washed clothes, but the water was not working (the electricity wasn't working either for that part), so I was only able to do about half of it with the small amount of water that I had left in my tub. I should've gotten more while I could, but I find that I just don't use very much (even for bathing) and I don't need to have very much. I also read some more and then left for the International School where I ran and then played volleyball. Now I'm back and updating this blog!!

Although it may seem like an ordinary day, today has been one one of my best days here. Though not everything has gone right, I feel more connected to the area, to the school, and to the people. I'm beginning to feel more like I belong as opposed to being an outsider. I still get a lot of attention because I'm white and many people will stop me to ask me who I am, what I do, where I'm going, where I live, etc., but I've learned that they're just curious. It can be annoying at times and sometimes I really do wish I could just blend in. But, the truth is, I'm not here to blend in. I'm here to stand out as someone who is different. Maybe not for the reasons other people here may think, but I am here because of Christ. I am here to make a difference because this is where He has led me and called me.

The young man who kept bothering me at the church on Sunday stopped by the house the other day while I was doing my laundry and we ended up in conversation. He was talking about how much he wants to be famous like a famous singer or a famous preacher on the TV. I guess for him, that is what success looks like. In all of our conversation, he couldn't understand why I didn't want to be famous. All I could say is "I'm just an ordinary person. Nothing in the world makes me extraordinary except for Christ. I don't want to be famous because I don't want that level of responsibility. I want to have enough to get by and I want God to be number one in my life. You can't serve God and money." He kept saying that God can provide fame. But, the truth is, God will only provide fame to some. Many will strive for fame and acknowledgement, but they will never achieve it. Sometimes God allows us to suffer in order to learn lessons. As a Christian, I do not wish to strive for fame; somehow it seems wrong. I long to make God famous in the world; I long to take a backseat ride and let Him be the star of the show. If that happens to bring me fame, so be it, but that is not my goal. In the Bible it says that God humbles the proud and raises up the servant. I want to be a servant. I don't want to strut my stuff and show off how great I am. I'm not great. God is great. I'm just a human being living day to day, praising God for who He is and how He has moved in my life and changed me for the better.

I think it's good that, as painful as it was, God allowed me to wait before coming here. My prayer was always that God would prepare me for Africa and that He would prepare Africa for me. I feel like by waiting, God has moved in my life in big ways to prepare me for this experience and I am so thankful. That doesn't mean it's easy. There are still many times when I am reminded of home and I long to be in a more comfortable and familiar environment. I long for food from the US like you wouldn't imagine. It may seem crazy, but sometimes it seems worthwhile to hop on a plane to the US just to get some familiar food and then come back. But, I can't. It's worth it to be here, to give luxury up to serve my Lord. If I was here for any other reason, I think I would rethink my sanity and come home. But, here I am, learning so much about who God is, who I am, and who the people here are and I am thankful. I pray that every day "Thank you Lord for allowing me to be here! It is a blessing to serve these people!"

I hope that as you wander through life and find yourself in a challenging place that you are willing to take on the challenge. Remember, "God won't give us more than we can handle." ~ Mother Theresa. Of course, the second half of that quote is "I just wish he didn't trust me so much." Haha! Remember, God has given you the tools to accomplish His work, you just have to be brave, jump in and make sure that you are holding onto Him as hard as you possibly can!!

"Do not deceive yourselves. If any one of you thinks he is wise by the standards of this age, he must become a 'fool' so that he may become wise. For the wisdom of this world is foolishness in God's sight." 1 Corinthians 3:18-19

Peace, Love, and Blessings
~Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment