Pages

Monday, February 27, 2012

Busyness

So, honestly, I don't think I've stopped since Friday. It's terrible, especially since I have not been feeling well since about Thursday night (I've got some kind of head cold or allergy issue going on right now, but don't worry, I've got all types of medicines I brought from America. Although, I'm not 100% better yet). This was by far one of the busiest weekends I've had since I've been here and not in a good way. Events that I didn't think were going to take very long stretched out forever and things that I really NEEDED to get done didn't get done. Today I had to force myself to ignore work so I could take 30 minutes to write in my journal and reflect. So many of my recent experiences have left me drained. 

For instance, I was invited to a church member's house to celebrate Friday afternoon after school (which was a draining experience because I was trying to prevent the students from all but killing a poor, injured bat on the playground. I'd rather not re-tell that story...). Anyways, his place is one room, smaller than my room back home, that is part of a small, horse-shoe shaped complex with about 6 or 8 rooms. In this room, he sleeps on the floor on a blanket. There is a tiny table with two little stools, a couple buckets of water, and a couple of boxes. We're talking about having NOTHING here. And yet, he supplied so much food and multiple drinks for me and himself. I know that it cost him greatly to provide all of those bananas, mangoes, and chapati bread. Also, he refused to allow me to pay for any of the daladala rides there or back because that is how his parents raised him. If you invite someone to your house, you must provide everything so they will feel like they didn't have anything to lose by coming and they will want to come back again. What do you say or do when someone who has nothing gives you everything??

Also, this past Sunday was the Women's Sunday at the church, so the women did everything. They led the service, a woman preached, the women put on a drama of the story of Esther, and sang all the songs. It was awesome and I was invited to be a part of it. But, there were many rehearsals that were a part of the preparation. Granted, I couldn't make it to all of the rehearsals, but I tried to get to as many as possible. I missed the rehearsal on Friday because of the celebration, but I did make it to the hour and a half long rehearsal on Saturday after my adventures around Morogoro (which of course took longer than expected). And, by the time rehearsal ended, I had to dash off to town to go to the store because I didn't get to go on Friday (again because of the celebration). The stores usually close early on Saturday and I was worried I wouldn't get there in time. But, I managed it. The only problem is I COMPLETELY forgot to buy the main item that I needed: conditioner. So, I've been without conditioner for a few days and I'm at a loss as to when I'll be able to get back (because of course, the week days are so busy). As soon as I got back from the market I had to skype with the family and immediately after that was dinner time and then prayer time and then bed time (because I was EXHAUSTED and not feeling well).

Sunday morning, I made french toast and then I didn't even have time to do my yoga routine before I had to dash off to church. The service went longer because of the special Sunday and again I wasn't feeling well, but it was still very enjoyable. The music and the drama were lots of fun and I'm glad that I got a chance to be a part of the activities of the church (even if I don't know everything that was being spoken/sung). And then, we had a special luncheon after the service which was delicious. Then I had to work on stuff for school when I really just wanted to sleep. And then I went to the prayer service with the other missionaries in Morogoro. Although I wasn't done with the school stuff, I'm very grateful I went to the prayer service. It was so nice to have a chance to sing out my praises to my God in my native language and to understand the devotional and the words that were being spoken. It was a time of healing and letting go of a lot of personal frustration and anger for me. And afterward, I went to Emily and Chris' new house to celebrate and eat a dinner of home made pizza rolls which were delicious!! And, for dessert we had peanut M&M's!!!!! It was a fantastic time for me!! :D

Well, I don't have so much time left today, so I'm going to have to end this little blog post. I'm hoping that I'll have some time to myself tomorrow, but I'm not sure. I've been asked to tutor a student from school and I'm inviting a few of my strugglers to join us because if I'm going to be tutoring one, I might as well grab up a bunch who need to extra help. I told the girl's mother I'm only free on Tuesdays and Thursdays and I'm so grateful. I think I will seriously go crazy if I have to give away every last second of my free time. Contrary to popular belief, I am NOT super woman and I CANNOT do everything while attempting to learn a new language AND a new culture AND remain sane!!! ACK!!!

Ok, enough rambling and ranting. Good night everyone (or at least, it's night here) and I hope you have a blessed week!! :D

"...remembering the words of the Lord Jesus himself: 'It is more blessed to give than to receive.' " Acts 20:35

May the Lord bless you and keep you,
~Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment