Pages

Monday, July 30, 2012

What you can see in Morogoro

Well, I've got to say that exciting things are happening here in Morogoro right now. We have a work team that just arrived this past Saturday from Texas. They will be here for about 10 days helping to continue construction on the church and they will also be helping to put on a VBS (which, somehow is my responsibility to organize?? I had no idea until pastor mentioned something tonight...). The team is apparently going to Mikumi on Saturday, and apparently I'm also going to be joining them. Also, they're wanting to do a hike up the mountain, which I will also try to help organize. 

Of course, the normal school activities are happening right now and I've been doing all of my after school lessons and such. However, we have a break starting on Monday for an entire month!! I was somewhat warned of this, but no one knew what days/month it was going to take place (no surprises there). Thus, I didn't know when this break would be until I returned to Tanzania. Anyways, apparently, we get a whole month off of school because the government is taking a census. Well, I'm hoping that this might be a good time to do some traveling around Tanzania, if it works out. And, I'm also considering attending the language school which is here in Morogoro. It seems that the schedule is very flexible, so I can sign up for whatever weeks I want and whatnot. I think it would be a good thing for me. I've heard a lot of good things about the language school  from other missionaries and I think it would be a lot more motivating for me to keep learning Swahili. I hope it works out!!

Well, to conclude my entry, I realized I've talked a LOT about Morogoro. (I mean, that's the whole point of this blog, is to share about my experiences as a missionary here.) And, I have posted quite a few pictures of the school, the church, and the house where I am staying, but I haven't really shown you all very much of Morogoro. I'm now daring to be brave and take pictures of the town where I am living, so you can have a better idea of what I see on a daily basis. I say I'm being brave because I feel a little bit awkward about taking pictures of people doing normal things, but I want to give you all more of a sense of what living in Morogoro is like. This is just the beginning, so stay tuned for more posts with more pictures of town an such when I get them!

A daladala (public bus) letting people off at my stop! If you follow this road, you'll go towards town.

The other side of the road going further into Kihonda from my stop.

Yes, this is the playground of our school.

The duka (small shop) right next to the school. I usually go here to purchase phone vouchers and the occasional soda.

The church all ready for the visiting work team to begin!

The front of the church/pulpit.

The pre-school building where we've been having worship.

The church is right to the left of this little house which is where I will live with the other missionary who will join me in September.

The other duka that I've been known to frequent. (this is directly to the right of the house above).

The missionary team teaching Pastor Eunice how to make a balloon dog.

Making balloon animals!!


The newest addition to my room. An AMAZING shelf to help store all of these teaching materials that have returned to Tanzania with me. Honestly, it's my new favorite part of my room!! :D

May the Lord Bless You and Keep You,
~Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment