Pages

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Mission Team, Mikumi, and Masai

Well....I was hoping to get this entry finished much earlier than I have. But, it's been SOOOO crazy and I have hardly had any free time to think or even hardly breathe!!

Even though it gets a bit crazy, it's been really fun having this mission team from Texas here. I'm not going to lie, it gets really lonely here sometimes, being the only white person at my site and not having anyone to talk to who really understands and can relate to what I'm experiencing on a daily basis. It's been really fun showing them around our area and the town. It's the first time I get to truly share my experience with others through more than words and pictures.

On Friday, the students pretty much had a free day for the whole day, which was fine since it was the last day before our next break. The mission team and I went around to each class and made balloon dogs for them. It was SOOO much fun. We taught the other teachers how to make the balloon dogs, so they got to help too! One teacher, Sir Gustave was a master with the balloon pumps and just kept pumping and tying while we made them into dogs. We even got to break up classes 6 and 7 into groups and taught them how to make balloon dogs. It was SUPER fun!! The only problem was afterwards when the kids would take their dogs apart or pop them and ask for a new one. It was a bit overwhelming. But, I still think we all had a great time! :D

Class 1 with their dogs!!

Making the Balloon Dogs

Handing out the balloon dogs

A student and the balloon dog she made!
On Saturday, the team and I left in the wee hours of the morning to go to Mikumi National Park. We had a pleasant drive there and got to talk a lot. One of the missionaries has been on longer term missions like me, and he told me about his experiences in Germany and Zambia. It was really cool getting to hear about similarities and differences in mission experiences. Once at the park, we got to see some animals, but not nearly as many as the first time I had gone. Right now, it's "winter" here, and the grasses are all dried out. They're doing a lot of burnings at the park right now too, so things were scenic in a different way than last time. The park also connects with Selous (sp?) Park and a lot of the animals were there, apparently. It was fun, none the less.







Afterwards, we visited a Masai village where Pastor Umba has also set up a church. When we pulled up, the women and children were standing outside of the church/school building, singing. It was quite an amazing welcome. We were brought inside the building where we were warmly greeted by many of the women and the children sang more songs for us. After the welcome ceremony, the mission team went outside where they painted two of the outside walls with white paint. There were only 3 rollers, and I hung back so that they could do their work. I got to talk to some of the children using my limited Swahili. I'm finding that I'm surprising myself more and more with my ability to communicate with others. And, it's been really nice to have these kinds of opportunities to practice and become more comfortable with it. I'm really looking forward to language school because I think that it will help bring me the next step beyond what I already know and understand.

Before we left, we were told that the men were preparing some meat for us. (in the Masai culture, the men do the cooking. How awesome is that??!!) We were amazed that the village was so excited that we were there that they had provided food for us. After our meal of rice and meat, the women presented us with all kinds of beaded gifts: bracelets, necklaces, and earrings. It was a bit overwhelming, the out pouring of love. It truly is amazing how excited people here get and how appreciative they are, even if it is an act so small as painting a couple of walls white.

A Masai village elder

Painting the walls of the church/school building

Masai children.


Well, that's all I've got time for for this entry. However, keep tuned for another entry (hopefully soon) with more about the exciting (some not so good) events that have been happening here in Morogoro!!

May the Lord Bless You and Keep You,
~Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment