Pages

Saturday, May 5, 2012

Visiting a Children's Home Here in Morogoro

This week has been a really good week so far!! I mean, it's pretty much over now, but it really has been nice! The rainy season has definitely picked up the last couple weeks and it's cooled down drastically. I've actually been sleeping with a sheet on at night and NO fan!!! It's been really nice during the day, too. I have to say I was really expecting the rainy season to be a LOT more rainy than this, I mean, I was expecting torrential downpour all day every day for a month and a half. But, in reality it reminds me a lot of Louisiana during the summer time, rain showers off and on, mostly in the afternoon/evening time. So, it's definitely something I can handle. 

This week started off well and Monday was a pleasant day at school. Tuesday was International Labor Day, so we were off. Somehow, America never got this memo, or if they did, they decided that they were just too good for the International Labor Day, and had to come up with their own. Well, even though I was off, I ended up being SUPER busy! I ran first thing in the morning and caught up on washing my clothes. I'm not sure if anyone will actually believe me, but I actually have come to really like hand washing my clothes. I've got a rhythm down and everything. Sometimes I doubt if things are really clean or not, but I just have to remind myself that it's got to be better than when I started. Concerning clothes washing: a down side to the rainy season is that it takes a lot longer for clothes to dry because they have to be draped across chairs inside instead of being out in the heat and the sun. Also, because it's cooled down so much, it takes longer. But, it's nothing I can't handle. :D

In the afternoon, Stephanie and Shantelle (other missionaries here) picked me up and we headed to the Agape Children's Home. It took us a while to find it, but we finally did. (Stephanie and Shantelle had been there once before and had wanted to go back, so they knew the way for the most part. Of course, there are not street signs or road names here, so you have to use various buildings and landmarks to figure out where you are. It's definitely a challenge!) Anyways, we finally arrived and got to talk with Christina, the director, for a while. I had met her at the Easter Sunrise Service and we had been trying to plan for me to come for quite a while and I'm so glad that it worked out. Her life story is simply amazing and inspiring. Even though her parents are from Germany, she grew up in a missionary family and now she is also a missionary. There's also some crazy events that led to her being here in Morogoro. There were a lot of problems with the previous locals who were put in charge of the orphanage. Lots of lying and people doing witchcraft. But, now she is in charge and things are going well. There are almost 30 children there and they are hoping to get more. There are different buildings on the campus for boys and girls and each building has it's own "mama" who takes care of the children. It was really nice and I was really impressed with how well things are kept up and the children seemed to be well behaved.  I'm going to post some pictures at the end of this blog for you to see.

While we were there, Claire, Stephanie's middle daughter decided to take off her shoes. She decided that since the other kids were not wearing shoes, that she shouldn't wear any either. She wanted to be just like them. I thought it was so cute and such a simple act. It reminded me of how God can teach us so much through children. When we go to another culture to minister, we are called to become like those people. To live like them, to speak like them, and to become a part of who they are. Although we can never be completely similar, once we find a way to understand and adapt to the culture, that is when we are able to minister effectively. We can't force people to change their ways, but instead we must meet them where they are and lead them to the better path.

While we were there, I got a chance to teach a mini music lesson to the children. It was really fun and I hope that they learned something. Tina was able to translate and together we were able to help the students understand a few music concepts. We learned some rhythms: quarter notes, eighth notes, half notes, and quarter rests, we learned solfedge, and how to sing a round. I ended with "Jesus Loves Me" and taught them hand signs to it.

That evening I met some other missionaries for dinner. Some friends of theirs who are currently in DAR were visiting for a little while and they wanted to have a big get-together. We had chicken and chips (french fries) to eat and then we played a game called Mafia. We used to play this game all the time in talented theatre in high school because you have to practice making up stories and keeping a straight face. But, the way they play here is slightly different. We were never allowed to say who our card was, even if we wanted to. But, I was really surprised here that everyone was revealing who they were (especially if they were the doctor or the police officer). Anyways, just another way that I'm having to re-learn how to do some things in a new environment. In any case, it was fun, and I'm glad I got the chance to just chill out for a while.

The rest of the week was business as usual at the school. I gave tests to Classes V and VI and I am SO impressed with how much they have improved since I first arrived this January. I can visually see and hear how they have improved in their English and I am just so proud. I think of how far Class V has come and I am overwhelmed! I remember those first few weeks when everything was only about just trying to get them to be quiet so I could teach. Yes, we are still WAY behind in the book, but now we are moving forward at a steady pace and they are actually learning something! No one got below a C on this past test!! Now, yes the lowest C is a 40%, but STILL!! Those kids were getting like 10% F's before. Thus, they are getting MUCH better!! I'm SOOOOOO proud of them!! :D

It just makes me never want to leave because I know how much more they can accomplish if we just keep working. It's going to be so hard to head home in June. I can't believe that it's only just over a month away. I wish time would slow down so that I can soak all of the last few weeks in. I feel like things are going to be very different once I get home; I'm never going to see the world the same way again. The person who came here and the person who is returning are two different people. In some ways I feel like this is where my heart truly belongs; on the mission field. It's like I was made for this, so I wonder why I'm going home. But, I have an opportunity at graduate school now, so I guess I've got to take it while I've got the chance.

Well, that's all I've got for now. I hope that you've also had a great week and that you have a great weekend as well!! I'll leave you with a quote that I found at the back of a book I read recently:

"...though we may feel comfortable both places (mission and home countries), we never really totally fit anywhere again. The advantage is we have a clearer idea of what it means to be a citizen of heaven, that this earth is not our home."













May the Lord Bless You and Keep You,
~Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment