Pages

Thursday, May 24, 2012

A Surprise Visitor!!

In some ways my life here in Morogoro seems so mundane and ordinary, but in other ways it feels extraordinary. So much of my life revolves consists of only the necessities of life: eating, breathing, washing clothes, cleaning my room/bathroom, grocery shopping, etc. But, peppered amidst all of the ordinary is the extraordinary. For example, yesterday the CUTEST black baby goat literally walked into my English class just as I was about to give a test. Apparently, it was eager to learn English too. It was definitely one of those "only in Tanzania" moments. I gently guided it back outside as the class and I laughed over the scenario. I remembered seeing that goat the other day as I was walking to the International School for a run. As I passed it, it began jumping and dancing in circles like it was so happy and had no care in the world. If only I could learn to be more like that baby goat: dancing and leaping through life, always eager to step into a new classroom to learn something!!

Here are some updates on my comings and goings for the last week:

On Friday night, some of the missionary ladies and I had a movie night at Linn's house. It was a great time of just hanging out and relaxing. We watched the movie "When in Rome" which I've seen before. I'm not really the romantic comedy type, but I still really enjoyed the chance to get out and do something different for a change. Rick and Linn let me stay the night afterwards which was great. It was kind of like a mini-vacation!! It's so nice once in a while to have a chance to be in a western-style setting and just have a break from all of the cultural stress for a while. I'm finding that I'm used to a lot of things now and as long as I don't deviate from my personal routine too much, I'm good.

Saturday, we didn't end up having ultimate frisbee because not enough people showed up. So I came back to the house and did laundry, cleaned my room/bathroom, prepared for Sunday, and practiced yoga. We had rehearsal for the English choir that night. I've been teaching the choir some more modern songs. Originally, we were just singing hymns, but I think it's time we started branching out a bit. I think they really like it a lot more than the hymns which is nice! I personally LOVE modern worship songs, but I'm still a sucker for the old hymns. :)

Sunday, I got to preach at church. Talk about something I never imagined happening in my future. Haha!! I had plenty of time to prepare (unlike many other events that have happened to me since being here.) My Swahili teacher, Baba Sesi, translated and I think it went well. I chose the topic of faith and how we need to place our faith in God. I talked about what faith is: how the dictionary defines faith and how the Bible defines faith. Then, I discussed how God has proven that He is faithful to those who are faithful to Him by using a few of the countless examples from the Bible (Sarah and Abraham had a son, God led His people through the wilderness, Daniel was saved from the lions den, Jesus was born which fulfilled to prophecy). Thus, I concluded we should trust Him. Finally, I discussed how when we place our trust in Him, we can do amazing things. Like how Peter walked on water, but the moment he took his eyes off of Jesus, he began to sink. We should not allow ourselves to become consumed with the problems of life. We need to keep our eyes focused on Jesus and He will lead us through it all. All in all, it was a trusty three-point sermon (I'm sure any preacher back home would be proud), and I think it went over well. I mean, I haven't really heard anything good or bad from anyone. They want me to preach more, as in 2-3 times a month!! I said I'd definitely be willing to preach again, but I think that they need to hear from other members of the congregation as well. I guess we'll see what happens. Sunday night was the prayer service and then I returned home for karate, dinner, and bed.

The week has been rather un-eventful, save for the appearance of the goat mentioned earlier. I've been reading a LOT lately, but I haven't had much else to do in my free time. I counted how many books I've read since January and I'm on book 17!! I'm currently re-reading The Poisonwood Bible. I'm not sure who all has read it, but I had to read it in high school. I have to say that it is cracking me up reading it from my new perspective!! I can relate so much better to the events of the story and many of those things have happened to me! For example, it made me laugh so hard when Rachel's character is talking about the dress style and how it is inappropriate for women to show their legs. She talks about how women have to "make themselves decent" before leaving home. Which means that they wrap another piece of cloth over their skirt. You will see that all the time here. Also, it made me laugh to read what things the family had decided were important to bring: cake mixes, makeup, nail polish, all types of weather clothes. They had so much stuff that they had to pile it onto their bodies and hide the cake mix and pans under their clothes. Haha!! Of course, that makes me think about the things that I brought because I had decided that I couldn't live without them. I even kind of laugh at myself for bringing my hair straightener which I haven't even gotten to use since I don't have a strong enough converter and I'm afraid of frying it. Thus, I pretty much wear my hair up in a clip or a ponytail every day since I can't make it look nice. It's fine and no one really cares anyways. Haha! For the most part, I think I made some really wise decisions about what to bring. Though, I have to say that I've got a LONG list of things to buy at the store and pick up from my room when I return. :D

In addition to reading, I have been trying to practice my Swahili, and I've been teaching my private piano lessons and teaching the ladies from church English. When I return from my trip home, I'm going to pick up another piano student; an adult who can help train others. I've asked Nadina who she would recommend since she knows the people in the congregation and knows who would actually follow through. Although I have been working with her, she's hoping to go to Drew University in New Jersey this fall as long as she can make arrangements for living. She's wanting to get training so that she can help train church leaders here in Tanzania. So far she has been able to cover everything with scholarship money. The only obstacle standing in her way is her inability to cover the costs of accommodations. Unfortunately, I don't have any connections in New Jersey, so I haven't been able to help. If anyone has advice or would be willing to assist, let me know!!

"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see." Hebrews 11:1

May the Lord Bless You and Keep You,
~Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment