Pages

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Kilimanjaro Half Marathon

I would like to start by saying THANK YOU for all of your prayers for water!! On Friday night, clean-smelling and looking water was restored to us!!!! :D However, on Saturday, the water quality took a change for the worse and a funky smell has returned, but it's definitely not back to being sewage water. So, if you could, please keep praying that all problems will be solved in the near future! Thanks!!

So, about that race last weekend. I haven't run a race in over 1 1/2 years. Although I've been into running since Freshman year of college, I really wasn't until the end of my Junior year that I got into races. I started slowly, with a 5K. I did a lot of 5Ks until I got my time down to the mid-twenties and then I worked myself up to the 10K. I did a few of those until I felt comfortable and in November of 2011, I ran my first half marathon. I trained really hard for that race. I was running 30-40 miles every week in addition to continuing with my other activities such as yoga and karate.

But, I didn't get to train very well for this one. My focus here in Tanzania is doing what I need to do here as a missionary first and foremost. Mostly due to time constraints (and some to the overly hot weather), I was only running about 15-20 miles per week using the path that I basically created around the football field at the International School. In fact, my farthest distance at any one time was 5 miles. Thus, I was a bit concerned about how this race was going to go, but I was ready to take on the challenge.

We left Saturday morning after some slight complications at home. Thankfully, we made it to the bus in good time and at 8:30am, we were on our way to Moshi. It was a long bus ride; very long. The bus was hot; very hot. The road was dusty; very dusty. For one particular stretch, there is some pretty significant road construction that is happening. So, our bus got re-routed onto the pretty rough dirt roads and we got tossed about pretty well. In the 8 hours it took us to reach Moshi, there was just one 10 minute stop for food and toilet.

Race day, we woke up just before 5am. Breakfast was supposed to start at 4:30am and our departure time to get to the stadium was set for 6am. I had slept horribly and was a bit concerned about how that would affect the race. I loaded up on bananas and carbs before we hopped on our ride. At the stadium, Kjirstin and I wandered about watching the set up. We watched the full marathoners take off and before I knew it, the half marathoners were lining up. I ended up further forward that I would have liked to be, but oh well. They played music to get us pumped up and then we were off. Little did I know what was in store for me.

My goal had been to run the whole race like I did last time, but that was not to be. I knew that part of the race was going to be uphill because I had read about it online. I didn't realize that the first HALF (meaning like 6.5 miles) was going to be uphill. I felt really pathetic on the way up and I repeatedly asked myself "What in the world have I done to myself?" and "Why am I putting myself through this torture?" I seriously doubted that I was going to make it to the end in one piece. Somehow by switching between running and speed walking I made it up to the half-way point. Maybe it was the spectacular view I had of Mount Kilimanjaro that inspired me to press on.

In any case, when I reached the half-way point, there were a few people there taking down the numbers of the runners. However, it was pretty chaotic as people pushed each other in line and we lost some race time by standing around. Another mzungu (white) girl and I were really confused, and weren't sure if it was required or not. But, we got our numbers on the list and headed off together.

The way down was a wonderful reward after the intense uphill workout. I felt like I was flying even as other were flying past me. My new running partner and I chatted about our work as we made our way down and it made the time fly by. I found out that she is working at IOP where Kjirstin and I had just been a month before. I didn't meet her while I was there, but I also didn't make it to the clinic where she has been doing research for Tulane. (Ironically, both of my sisters are students at Tulane.) Before I knew it, the kilimeters had flown by and I was feeling great. By the time there were only 4 KM left, I decided to race ahead to the finish. It was the most amazing finish I've ever experienced from a race before. Even though it took me 2 hours (10 minutes slower than my last half marathon), I am very proud of myself for pushing through the hard part and finishing well. I felt so accomplished and strong as passed the finish line.

I guess in a way the race was rather representative of my experience here in Morogoro. I got here and realized that I wasn't nearly as prepared in all the ways that I should have been. But, I really didn't have a way to prepare. I mean, life in the states is a whole other world from here. It was a tough road at first; like running uphill. Some days I was able to run, but some days I had to just keep walking and pressing forward. But once I made it through the first six months it's been like a swift downhill run through the past 8 months. As I approach the finish of this missionary experience, I feel strong and accomplished. I feel a sense of closure coming upon me that I didn't feel last year. I'm so glad that I extended my stay, and I praise God daily that I am here and that I have been blessed with this opportunity to serve. But, I feel like the time is nearing for me to return to the US.

That's all I've got for this post. I'm sorry I don't have any pictures yet. I didn't bring my camera to the race because I wasn't sure where I was going to put it. But, the volunteer from IOP took some pictures and is supposed to email them to me. As soon as I get them, I will post them for sure!
Also, I hope to get another post up soon about my birthday activities from this weekend (today is my birthday). Some friends threw me a surprise birthday party yesterday and among other reasons, it's been one of the best birthdays ever. I feel SOOO incredibly blessed right now. I hope that you're having a great weekend as well!!

May the Lord Bless You and Keep You,
~Christine

Me in my birthday dress!!
I bought the fabric in town and had the ladies at the Susanna Wesley Center sew it for me.
They really did a fantastic job!! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment