Pages

Saturday, December 1, 2012

Nearing the End

The students begin their annual examinations next Monday, marking the coming end to our school year. I'm ready for it and I think that the students are too. (I mean, they began cheering when they announced it at school :D) We plan to have a short time for teaching after the exams and school will finish on Friday, December 14th!!

This week has been an average week at school, though, I must say that it has flown by. I've taught all the usual English and music classes with the addition of my new Math Prep classes for Class VI. So far,  I've been impressed with their knowledge of math, and I've been trying to figure out what it is that is causing such low scores for them. I think that a lot of stuff that I've covered first is the easier stuff, so it's good to know that they have a solid foundation. But, of course, the scores do not reflect that. I mean, when only two students gets above a 20%, there's something to worry about. I think that one of the major problems is that the students are so afraid of the math teacher. I've walked by when she's teaching and she's a bit intense. I mean, the minute she enters a classroom, everything becomes so incredibly silent and tense. I hope that I can help the students to not be so afraid of math (honestly, I think thats half the battle right there).
Overall, I'm very happy with the progress that my students have made this year. It's hard to remember what our starting point was, but I feel like there must be some kind of improvement. One of my major victories is that students are beginning to recognize their own mistakes. I used to have to ALWAYS point out mistakes and tell them what the mistake was. But now, through just a little bit of prompting, the students are able to figure out what they did wrong. It makes me SOO happy!! Also, they've improved in their ability to construct appropriate sentences using the word of the day. At first, many were basically copying my sentence and changing one or two words. But, now they are really getting creative with it and I've seen some awesome responses (and of course some hilarious and ridiculous responses as well). It makes me so happy because knowing and understanding vocabulary as well as being able to construct sentences is so important for language mastery. Kjirstin is continuing to ready with the students and although I'm not there with her, I know it must be doing something to help the students!!

Another recent victory is how I've managed to revolutionize the bucket shower. So, I may have mentioned bucket showers before, but when I say this I mean: I have a pitcher and a big bucket of cold water. I take the pitcher, fill it with cold water and dump it over my head. This happens because the water is on less than half of the time. I think I posted pictures in my last blog with the buckets, but basically, the minute Kjirstin and I discover the water is on, we rush into the bathroom and begin to fill up our buckets. We've got one large one and five smaller ones. Altogether, between flushing the toilets (but, only maybe once a day. I mean, like seriously, I don't know if anyone realizes this, but toilets use SOOOO much water!!!!), showering, washing hands, and even some clothes washing, we can make that amount of water last for about two days.

This week has also marked what seems to be the start of our short rainy season. It's been AMAZING!! We've been getting rain off and on since maybe Tuesday or Wednesday. It's cooled things off so well and I'm less worried about water shortages. I've heard that in the past when they didn't get this rainy season, the water was only turned on maybe once or twice a week. Now, we're pretty good at rationing our water and being careful, but that's a pretty big stretch right there. Praise God for that!! :D

Also, I thought I should make an update concerning the fundraising. I haven't really received any funds since my journey home this past July. Overall, I need to raise $5,500. So far, I've raised $2,319, so I'm still looking to raise $3,181. If you are interested in making a donation, please do so through The Advance website: https://www.umcmission.org/Give-to-Mission/Donate?type=1001&project=982465
There you will find my name among the other missionaries on the drop down list which is labeled "special designation". Please note that 100% of your donation will be given directly to me so that I can continue to complete the work that God has given me here. Also, your donation is 100% tax deductible!!!

I hope that you all are have had a wonderful week and are not getting too stressed out by the Christmas preparations just yet. Remember: Jesus is the reason for the season!! :D

May the Lord Bless You and Keep You,
~Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment