Pages

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Compassion

So, today I got the most AMAZING opportunity to visit a Compassion site. I have personally been sponsoring a child in Ecuador since I was in high school. I started off joint sponsoring her with some friends, but eventually, I took over the sponsorship when others were not able to continue. I have received letters from my sponsor child and Compassion sends out updates each year to sponsors. I also have sent the occasional letter to my sponsor child. However, I never truly realized the extent of my impact until today. This is how it all came about:

I found out rather recently (within the last month or so), that one of the girls from our church is sponsored through Compassion. I was ecstatic to find that I knew someone who is sponsored through Compassion! I asked if I could visit a site with her, and she talked with the people at her site. They said that I should talk to the P.F. and gave me his number. I contacted him and he set me up with a meeting from a site manager, Harrison, who works at a site near where I am living in Morogoro. We arranged to meet today a hotel (many hotels here have restaurants, and it is common to meet people there) in order to discuss a visit. He brought his computer and showed me pictures from various activities they have done at their Compassion site and told me many stories about the students who are sponsored through Compassion. I was surprised to find out that many of the children are actually Muslims (in addition to Christians, of course). But, what an AMAZING impact this is having on the Muslim community here. Many of the children have converted to Christianity and although it causes some problems for some (meaning that the family is not accepting of the fact that their child has chosen to convert), others are overwhelmed with gratitude to the Christians. I learned of one boy who was having hearing problems and because he was sponsored through Compassion, they were able to get him the surgery that he needed in order to hear. His grandparents praised Compassion and the Christians because they took care of their grandson when the Muslims would not. What a powerful message this is sending to the Christian and Muslim communities. Although tensions between the two are rather quiet, it still exists. I find that oftentimes Christians just stick to being with other Christians and Muslims just stick to being with other Muslims. However, this is such a powerful way that Christians can show Muslims what Christianity is all about!!!

After the meeting, I was invited to join the children for their weekly prayer service. As a part of their prayer and praise day, they fast from morning until after the service every Wednesday. The service begins at 4pm and ends at 6pm. After the service, Compassion provides a meal for the children. I decided that I wanted to join them so I would have a chance to visit the Compassion site and meet some of the children. After I agreed, I was very surprised that I was going to have to ride on Harrison's pikipiki to get to the site. I was quite nervous as I have never EVER ridden on a motorcycle before and promised myself that I would not ever, EVERY do it. However, I had walked because that's the only form of transportation that I personally own here, and it was far away, so my options were a bit limited. I was surprised at how smooth the ride was, but I did shoot up a number of prayers to God along the way.

The Compassion site (one of 13 in Morogoro alone) was quite large and had quite a few buildings. I got to see the office where they keep all the records from all the children. There were so many pictures everywhere of the children and various activities they were able to participate in. Harrison showed me some of the books where they keep copies of the sponsor letters the children have written and received, pictures, and school records. They also keep records of when the children receive monetary gifts from their sponsors for Christmas and birthday and they record exactly how the money was spent. Everything was incredibly well organized!!

Soon enough the service was beginning and I joined them in the room where they were worshiping. We sang many praising songs (mostly in Swahili, but some in English) and then one of the students gave a message. I found out that she was a Muslim who has converted to Christianity and is now in secondary school and working at a local radio station. I was told that when she first came, she was shy and ashamed. However, now she is a fun-loving and outgoing girl who is grateful to God and the things He has done in her life. After the message, they went through a rather lengthy list of items that were written on the board that we should all pray for. One of the items was their sponsors and I was amazed how much they kept emphasizing the fact that the students pray for their sponsors.
Until you can see it for yourself, it's so hard to imagine what an impact you're having in someone's life. They kept thanking me for what I'm doing for my sponsor child in Ecuador and I'm not going to lie, I was really overcome with emotion over that. These kids, whom I've never met before, were thanking me for what I was doing for a girl they've never met before who lives half way around the world. But, they know what a difference a sponsor can make for their lives. They know how she feels even though they've never met her before. It was a truly beautiful moment for me.

After my experience today, I am so happy that I am involved in Compassion and what it is doing to affect the lives of children around the world. The people in charge of the sites are locals who know the area, the customs, and the children. They are exposing these children to Christianity in a powerful way by providing these kids with things they would not otherwise have such as education and access to resources. For example, this particular site has a few computers and they are using them to teach the children computer skills which are quickly becoming necessary here for various jobs. The program follows the kids all the way to the completion of secondary school and teaches the students various vocational skills if they don't wish to continue on to study in university. These kids are the poorest of the poor and are being given the opportunity to make their lives and the lives of their family members better. And it's all in the name of Jesus Christ!!!

I feel like in this post, I've become a spokesperson for Compassion. But, I know that many people sponsor children through Compassion or other similar organizations and I hope that this encourages you: You Area Having An Impact In This World! If you're not involved in a program, and you've thought about it, but never got around to it, I encourage you to get invovled! I know many people wonder where their money is actually going to the right place and whether or not it is having an impact, but be assured that it is! Of course, there are people who don't feel led to this kind of ministry and that's OK; we all have our place where we can make a difference in the world. But don't let fear or uncertainty hold you back!!

I'm sorry I don't have any pictures of my excursion today. When I went to the meeting, I didn't realize that I was also going to be visiting the site at the same time, so I didn't bring my camera. But, I plan to visit the site where the girl from our church goes, so I hope to take some pictures then. I hope you are all having a fantastic week so far!!

May The Lord Bless You and Keep You,
~Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment