Pages

Sunday, December 16, 2012

End of the Year

First off, I want to begin by saying that I heard the news of the recent and more horrendous event that has happened in the US. I am horrified to think of what has happened to those poor teachers and especially those students. My thoughts and prayers are with you all right now as the country faces this grevious tragedy.

On Thursday we had our very last day of school for this school year at the Wesley Primary School. I am shocked and in awe of the fact that I have managed to teach an entire year (and I think it came out rather successfully, too!!). After I graduated from Centenary, I was convinced that I would never teach a day in my life. Even though my degree is in music education, I was over it and I didn't want to teach in a classroom ever again. And yet, here I am, a volunteer missionary teacher!! I seriously think God laughed when I told Him that I didn't want to teach. I mean, I almost didn't accept this position because I knew that I was going to have to teach. I fought it out with God for a week or two before finally accepting the fact that I felt like this was where God was sending me. When I accepted this position, I prayed that God would bring me healing from the rough experiences that I had with my courses and student teaching when I was at Centenary. And, I am so thankful that it has happened!! I came here very broken down and defeated in many ways, but God has pulled me up from that. I am amazed how He has been able to use my brokenness here to bring Him glory!! But, I'd say that's what God's in the business of doing. :D

It was SOOO cute on Thursday. After they made the announcement that it was the last day of school, reminding the students that their parents needed to come on Friday to pick up their reports, and reminding the students that school will start again on January 14th, they let everyone go. Many of the students rushed up to Kjirstin and I and gave us hugs and wished us Merry Christmas. I'm going to miss seeing those kids over the break. I asked some if they were excited about break, but many of them were really sad. They said that they were going to miss school and getting to be with their friends a lot. Honestly, I've never seen a group of kids so sad for the end of the school year. But, I reminded them that we would all be together again before they knew it! Some of them asked if I we would be returning after the break and you should've seen their faces when we said "yes". I think they all figured we would leave because that's when the last missionary left.

Now, that I'm finished, I'm taking it easy for a few days before I leave to visit my sister in Spain. She's been doing a study abroad program for this fall semester and wanted to do some touring in Spain. She didn't want to go alone, and since I'm already on this side of the globe and I didn't particularly want to spend Christmas without my family, I decided that I would join her. Thus, until I leave, I've been teaching piano lessons to my two students that have continued to come every week. I've been reading quite a bit as well as watching some movies. Right now I'm reading a book about a missionary and his experiences in Kenya. It's really fun to read about his experiences and compare them to my own. So far, I've found it quite enjoyable and comical in many ways as I make my comparisons! Of course, I'm also still running most days. I'm really excited because I signed up for the Kilimanjaro Half Marathon that will take place in March. I ran one half marathon shortly before I left to come here, so we'll see how this time compares. Honestly, I really wanted to climb the mountain, but that's pretty expensive and I think that this is a pretty awesome and FAR cheaper alternative way to see the famous mountain!

There was no frisbee yesterday morning because a bunch of people were out of town. However, Lauren, Danny, Junior, and I all went to the International School yesterday morning and threw a frisbee to each other and kicked a soccer ball around. It was a gorgeous morning and really enjoyable! (fyi: Lauren and Danny are two of Pastor Umba's kids, and Junior is one of their cousins. Lauren's been living with Pastor since she graduated from the Africa University this past June. Danny and Junior are currently home for their Christmas break.) Kjirstin left this morning to go to DAR so she could catch her own flight to Europe for some Christmas traveling with her mom. I went to church this morning after my morning run and making french toast on our kerosene jiko. I'm really getting the hang on how to use it and I'm really excited that we have it. I hope that we'll be able to use it to make other awesome creations! :D It was really hot today and I ended up getting a headache, so I laid down in the afternoon and have been taking it easy.

Tomorrow, my two students will be coming for their piano lessons. Afterwards, I'll go visit their orphanage for the afternoon. (On Thursday, another one of the little girls from that orphanage asked me if I was going to be visiting over the break and when I said "yes", she lit up with excitement!) I'm going to do a little Bible lesson with them about the meaning of the church. That a church is not just a building, but all of the members of the church. We all have a special purpose in the body of Christ and God shows us what He wants us to do. I'll also bring a movie that they haven't seen because I'm sure it'll be a special treat for them. And, maybe we'll get to play some outdoor games as well if it's not raining. On Tuesday, I plan to go to the Lutheran Jr. Seminary to visit the teachers and also my friend Anne. Then, she and I are going to town together for lunch and we might be joined by a couple other friends. On Wednesday I'll head out in the afternoon for DAR to catch my flight to Spain!!

I guess that about sums up the last few days and what's going to be happening for the rest of the week! I may or may not get a chance to post again before I head out. But, if I don't, I want to wish you all a very Merry Christmas! I hope that it is a time of joy and not of stress for you. Remember that Jesus is the reason for the season. What an amazing gift was given to the world at that time and how often we forget it in all of our hustle and bustle!!

May the Lord Bless You and Keep You,
~Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment