Pages

Thursday, March 15, 2012

The Adventures within the Adventure

Well finally!! Here it is!!!

So, this past Saturday was my birthday and I was SUPER excited!! I had made a few plans and I did all of my work on Friday so that I wouldn't have to do anything on Saturday except relax and have fun!! The morning began at 6:40am. Yes, that's right, 6:40am. But, I didn't mind because I woke up naturally at that time, not because some alarm was complaining in my ear. So, I got up and got on fb and email. The first thing I saw was a video from the family. They had recorded themselves singing happy birthday and sent it to me. It was such a welcome start to my day. Then I proceeded to do my hour long weekend yoga routine which of course got me into a focused and relaxed mood. Then, I heard a knock on my door and when I opened it Nathan was there to sing me happy birthday and let me know that breakfast was ready. After breakfast, I packed up and headed out to Sokoine University of Agriculture (SUA) to join the other missionaries for a game of Ultimate Frisbee. I packed extra clothes and shower supplies so that I would be able to shower after the game and head out to lunch with the others. The game was great and even though my team lost, I didn't care because I was having so much fun!!
After the game, Kim and CP let me shower at their house. It was AMAZING!! The first warm shower I have had since I have arrived!! I just wanted to stand under the faucet all day, but we needed to get going to lunch. I put on my new dress which was dyed, printed, and sewn by ladies from the Wesley Sewing Center here. It is a GORGEOUS gift from my parents for my birthday!! I also got a chance to blow dry and straighten my hair for the first time since arriving and I even decided to wear makeup. I felt like myself again. Haha!! That's not to say that I don't normally feel like myself, but it was the first time since arriving that I've really taken any time to make myself up and of course it felt good!! Just about every girl likes to get a little bit fancy once in a while. It's funny to think that after going so long not wearing any makeup at all, I get super excited over a little bit of eyeliner and mascara. Haha!!

Anyways, we met Emily and Chris at Ricky's for lunch where I ordered a chicken sandwich and chips (which of course are like fries and not American style chips).  It was great!! I had decided that although I do like rice, I didn't want to have it on my birthday. After lunch, Chris and Emily drove me  home and I got a chance to sit around and relax during the afternoon. Around 6pm I began to prepare the dough for the pizza that I was going to make for dinner. I bought some rosemary to add to the crust and I was really excited to see how it would turn out! Then, I went to the rehearsal for the church's new English choir. Right now we have been practicing and singing hymns, but I hope that we will be able to learn and sing some praise and worship songs as well!!

After rehearsal, it was back to the house to make the pizza. I felt like I had a better handle on things this time around. In no time I had the toppings all prepared and the dough was beautiful! I whipped those pizzas out in no time. The only problem was that suddenly we gained two more people to our party and I only had 3 individual sized pizzas that we would all have to share! With 8 people present, that meant that we would only get 2 small pieces of pizza. I was a bit upset over the fact that there wasn't enough food for everyone, but there was no time to make anything else. I cut up the rest of the pineapple and prayed that it would be enough for everyone. I do have to say that the pizza came out fantastic! I was SUPER proud of myself and the rosemary crust was great! I definitely recommend it to anyone who makes their own crust (which is SUPER easy btw!). I hope that everyone else got enough. I didn't really, but I ate up the rest of the pineapple that no one else wanted, so I guess that made up for it. We also got a special treat: Emily had prepared cupcakes for me and luckily I had EXACTLY 8, so everyone got one. Overall, in spite of the sudden surprise, everything worked out fine.

Sunday was rather uneventful. I did get to preach at the youth service and I'm not really sure how well that went. I talked about how God has called us each for a special purpose and it's our job to seek God's will to discover what His purpose for our lives is. Although it's something that I feel every young person should know, now that it's over and I've learned more things, I'm not sure that it came across as completely culturally relevant here. Here, the people don't know how to make plans for the future. No one teaches them how to. It horrifies me, but at the same time I understand. Here, tomorrow is not a guarantee and there isn't always money to be able to attend school or even eat. I've learned recently that no one here knows how to save because, again, no one teaches them. And , for them, there is no point in saving. They must use their money to support others (family and friends) who are in a worse place than them. It's a wonderful was of life and community, but it seems self defeating. How can a group of people ever rise out of poverty if they don't save money and plan for the future?? I can see why the situation is the way it is, but does that make it OK? Should I just accept that people are "doing their best", or should I encourage others to do things that will help them in the long run? And, the next question would be: are my suggestions what is best for the people and the community way of life that they live?? It's SO complicated!! I'm not sure that I'll ever have an answer!!

Well, Sunday afternoon, I baked cookies at Kim's (which came out quite wonderful if I do say so myself!! Then it was off to the prayer service and then back home to grade the tests I had given all my students the previous Thursday and Friday.

Well, folks, that's about all the time I've got to blog today!! Enjoy the pictures of Ultimate Frisbee, the foods that I made, and my new dress!! Have a blessed rest of your week!! I will blog about my trip to DAR and acquiring the keyboard when I have time tomorrow!! :D










"And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into His likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit." 2 Corinthians 3:18

May the Lord Bless You and Keep You,
~Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment