Pages

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Here, There, and Everywhere

In the last week, I feel like I have been ALL over Morogoro I've done SOO much!! And, pretty much that's a true statement. It hardly feels real to me that just one week ago, I was spending the night in town at Day Spring Orphanage and all of my wonderful students!!

Despite my continued hope for just a normal week of school and teaching, my wishes have been foiled once again! Tuesday afternoon, as the students were about to leave to go home, the head teacher cycled up to the school on his bicycle to tell us the news that we would not be coming to school Wednesday - Friday. It was previously thought that we would be able to continue with regular classes while class IV was taking their national exams, but at the last minute, things were changed (again...). So, suddenly, I had a TON of free time and nothing to do! But, never fear, I certainly have had many things to keep me occupied.

On Wednesday, I spent a good portion of the day around the house cleaning and organizing things. I ran in the morning and then spent just over an hour doing some laundry that had been piling up. Although Mama Vanessa does laundry for us when she comes to clean our house, there are still certain items that I don't feel comfortable giving her to wash for me. For example, underwear, and I have some delicate times that I don't want to get stretched out or ruined. One of my piano students came in the morning for a lesson. Since she usually has lessons on Wednesdays after school, I told her she could come during the break if she wanted to (and, of course, she did!). I hung around the house in the afternoon and watched a movie until prayer service at 5pm and karate practice afterwards.

On Thursday, I didn't do too much in the morning. I had wanted to work on graduate school applications, however, the internet connection was so slow I couldn't do anything. Kjirstin and I went to town to do some shopping and then we met my friend Shantelle for lunch at Acropolo. The restaurant has a nice garden area out front, so we sat outside. It was a warm day, but it was nice to be outside in the shade with a bit of a breeze blowing. And, I must say that the food was delicious!! African food is very bland tasting to me (coming from the south where spices rule), so it's always nice to get some variety of tastes in once in a while. Then, we returned to the house where Shantelle is staying with the other members of her team and we all went swimming. It's been such a long time since I've gotten to see these friends and it was a wonderful time! The sky was sunny with a few puffy clouds floating lazily along, and the water was cool and clear. It was very nice! After we returned, I went running and had some time before dinner.

On Friday, I was awoken early (6:15am) by Mama Vanessa who had come to clean and wash. Since I didn't have to go to school, I decided to go back to bed for another hour. When I woke up, I went to get breakfast for myself when I heard all kinds of noise and fighting outside. I looked out my window to see students of class IV fighting and screaming and all kinds of nonsense. So, I dressed and went outside to see what was the matter. I was a bit worried about going to the school because of the national exams, but I was concerned because I didn't see any other adults at the school watching the children. I went out and found many students holding sticks that they were using to hit each other. Other students were yelling and flailing their arms about. I never found out what started it all, but I quickly took charge and the students who had been fighting were punished. Then, I made the whole class stand in silence against the school building until someone else arrived to take order. I tried to call pastor, but he was detained somewhere else, but luckily the school secretary arrived before the test administrators did. I was mostly worried about getting them all into trouble because I was a teacher and I was at the school. But, I still didn't feel right about just leaving the kids without supervision.
Later in the morning, John and Elizabeth came for their piano lessons. I'd say they were tough lessons and neither they nor I were terribly focused. In the afternoon, I had English choir and then I got to skype home.

Today, I woke up and did my Saturday morning yoga routine and washed a few clothes before leaving for frisbee. I got to town a bit late, so I decided to try a new way of getting to Sokoine University of Agriculture (SUA). I had been told that there is a daladala that runs from the soko (market) to SUA and I decided to try and check it out. Sure enough, there it was, so I jumped on and had a pleasant ride to my destination. Normally, I don't mind walking there, but it does take like 30-40 minutes, so it's nice to know that there is a faster option (for the ever so cheap price of $0.20) if I so choose to take it. After frisbee, a friend who lives in Kihonda offered to give me a ride back. We stopped at the soko (market) quickly so that I could pick up some fruit for the week and then we were off. She showed me a market that is nearer to where I live. I'm glad I know about that, so if we need anything during the week, we won't have to go all the way to town. After the short detour, she brought me home. At home, Kjirstin and I ate quickly and then headed out to the Agape Children's Village (which is an orphanage that I've visited 2 times before). We took the daladala to the Vetta stop and then walked a few miles to the orphanage. This is the first time I've walked there (the other two times I had a ride) and it took a little while to make it there, and I had to stop once to ask directions. We arrived in time to attend a youth service with the older kids from the orphanage. I taught them some songs and then we sang some other songs that they knew. After, one of the youth gave a message and then the service was over.
Kjirstin and I had brought some books to read to the younger kids, but since Tina had to go to a meeting, we didn't have a translator. We ended up getting to talk to the two new volunteers until time we had to leave. (I think we're going to try and come back during the Christmas break so that we can do the things we had planned to do today.)
Along our trek back to the main road we ran into one of the Wesley Primary School students!! It was very exciting to see her and she showed us where she is living. I am amazed that she lives so far from school and how far she has to go to get to Wesley. Honestly, these kids amaze me with how much they have to overcome to get education and how quickly they have to grow up here. Soon after we ran into her, a daladala came by and we were able to catch it and ride all the way back to our usual stop. It was such a blessing because it was hot and we were tired.
Minutes after I arrived home, we had English choir and then right after I had a piano lesson with a lady from our church. She is progressing for sure; slowly but surely. I hope that by the time I leave she will know enough to be able to help others.

Well, today, I'm going to be preaching at church. Then in the evening, we are hosting prayer service. At the service, I'll be leading music and also giving a message. Thus, the fun doesn't stop!! :D

I hope that you all have a wonderful start to your week!
May the Lord Bless You and Keep You,
~Christine



No comments:

Post a Comment