Pages

Saturday, September 1, 2012

Progress

Things are progressing well here. Language school was honestly one of the best things I could have done with this break time. I'm overwhelmed by the amount of progress that I've made over the last 3 weeks concerning both language and culture. Language school has offered a safe place for me to learn Swahili and practice. A lot of times I find that people are not quite so patient outside of language school or don't really know how to teach their language and customs. But, the teachers at the school are used to working with us foreigners and know how to teach and explain the material in a way that makes sense. Some things that I've learned culturally is that it's really bad to point fingers at people. If you do, it means that you are wishing bad things to happen to them. Also, if you are beckoning to a person, you should only do so with the palm down. If you turn your palm up, it indicates that you think the other person is a dog. Additionally, it is most appropriate to shake another person's hand with both of your hands, as opposed to just using one hand.

Also, I'm continuing to meet people from all over the world through this language learning experience. There is a group of German high school graduates who are doing a month of language school before they continue onto their different assignments. It amazes me how young they are. I mean, I'm pretty young, too, but I've at least had some experience living out on my own through college. I can't imagine this being my first "real world" experience. Also, my normal lunch group at school consists of another American, a South Korean, a German, one or two of the Tanzania teachers, and of course myself. Only the South Korean struggles with English, so we all try to converse in Swahili so that everyone will understand. It really amazes me how we are forced (in a sense) to speak in what is a second language for most of us because that is the common language in the group. I can feel my confidence growing and I have noticed a significant change when I'm out and about. Before I would zone out when people were speaking Swahili around me because I simply couldn't understand any of it, but I'm trying to change that now. I try to listen in on people's conversations to see if I can really understand what they're saying. Also, I'm trying to talk to people more and it's actually working. I had quite a lengthy conversation with an older woman on one of my daladala rides home after school. The mere fact that these words no longer sound like jibberish, but actually have meaning to me now is SUPER exciting! It's like a whole new world has opened up to me!

Another great benefit of dedicating this time to learning Swahili is that I will now be able to teach English better. Now that I'm getting a grasp on Swahili grammar and the way Swahili flows, I can better understand why my students make certain mistakes. Also, may of them have funny ways of expressing themselves, but I now understand why they write things like "You have how many years?" or "Your favorite kind of food is which?" or "The children they are playing." I already feel that I'm going to be a much more effective teacher because of this and I'm really excited about it!

In addition to language school, I've been trying to continue my other normal activities. It's been hard through because I'm very exhausted in the evenings after so much language learning. On the weekends, I'm mostly doing work and getting prepared for the coming week so that I won't be so stressed out. Also, the other missionaries have re-instated our game of Ultimate Frisbee on Saturdays. We weren't meeting for a while because so many people were out of town for various reasons; such is life. But, we've been having quite a crowd the last couple times and I don't think anyone is going to be doing any major traveling soon.

I guess that's all that's new for now! I would like to mention that after talking to others, I have decided to add the costs of language school to the total of how much I need to fundraise. As I have mentioned previously, I want everyone to know that I'm trying very hard to make sure that 100% of your funds are going to expenses that I deem necessary to my life here as a missionary. If I'm going out to eat with friends, or if I decide to do any traveling in Tanzania, that will be 100% my cost. Knowing the local language is rather essential to me being an effective missionary here, so I've decided that I should add it to my missionary expenses. Altogether added up, the four weeks of school costs about $600. In addition, because I'm there all day, I've had to pay for lunches there, which adds another $65 or so to the cost. Therefore, I will need to raise an additional $665 in addition to the previously mentioned $2,526. Therefore, I will need to raise $3,181. If you want to know how you can donate, please click on the page above. There you will find the instructions of how to donate through The Advance website. Know that 100% of your donation will go directly to me and that it is tax deductible.

May the Lord Bless You and Keep You,
~Christine

Well, I forgot that my dad's old iphone that I've been using as a ipod here has a camera with it. So, I went ahead and took some pictures of some more places in Morogoro for you!! Enjoy!! :D

The volleyball court at the International School where I play on Tuesdays and Thursdays!!

The little sitting areas where students sit with their teachers to learn Swahili!



This is the building where I get to have morning chai as well as lunch with other students and the teachers!!

No comments:

Post a Comment